By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kinfolk breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they could effect your personal considering with no your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books through its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, realized, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for an extended checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on technique "proved" God's life purely via making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may perhaps win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past sturdy and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely via the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a short schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will keep away from them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best books & reading books
A hugely unique and influential paintings of recent British literature, Angela Carter’s Nights on the Circus combines a beautifully inventive plot with a powerful political undertone. the result's an emotive and provocative novel, which has attracted a lot serious realization from various views together with poststructuralism, gender reviews, postmodernism and psychoanalysis.
This ebook has goals: to begin with to offer an research into details literacy by means of taking a look at how humans have interaction with details to complete projects or clear up difficulties in own, educational contexts (also referred to as the relational approach). This view of knowledge literacy illustrates a learner-centred point of view that might be of curiosity to educators who desire to transcend the instructing of data talents.
Meet Milo, a boy with a robust mind's eye and experience of event, as he travels to a fantastical global. contain bankruptcy questions with vocabulary and writing activates for comprehension exams. scholars reflect on who may ship Milo the package deal containing the tollbooth. expect what Dictionopolis may be like.
Remark penser cette expérience qui consiste à lire des textes, mais aussi des fichiers audio ou des tableaux abstraits, des personnes ou des events ? Quel style de communique et de belief du social implique-t-elle ? Étymologiquement, lire c’est cueillir des plantes pour composer des remèdes.
- Words Unbound: Teaching Dante's Inferno in the High School Classroom
- Philip Roth: Fiction and Power
- A Taste for the Foreign: Worldly Knowledge and Literary Pleasure in Early Modern French Fiction
- Schreibschrift oder »Druckschrift«?: Welche Schrift soll die Schule lehren? (Initialen) (German Edition)
Additional info for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker